Thursday, 21 April 2011

Week 7 Professional Development and personal learning networks

So close to a completed PD now. Recording Nicoles powerpoint with Camtasia proved interesting. Nicole’s netbook did not cope. Mine didn’t pick up the audio and then we tried to match my visual with an audio done on Jakes laptop and found out later that editing this wouldn’t work. Lesson learnt: We need to be able to complete whatever project we assign our class so that we know it can be done with the tools that students have. Also, when teaching, we need to always have a backup plan and we need to be more than just teachers using technology we need to use it to its best effect to enhance student learning (SCPDF, 2011).
This week I joined a group called ProTeacher Community (1998-2010). I now have access to a range of tried and tested teacher ideas. I am now “part of the Pro Teacher community.” This is just one example of personal learning networks that help us achieve much more than we could on our own. When will I know if my teaching ideas are worth sharing? Well one idea I did not think to share was Spelling City. Luckily Jasmine did and so I made a suggestion to set it up for our classes on PX3 and not just for home use!
                                                          







One of the major developers in my understanding of applying the TPACK model and the Professional Knowledge statement has come as I have researched while developing ideas for a unit of work on Mini Beasts for my PX3 when I came across a site which shows how I could implement ICT’s for this Mini Beasts unit of work: 

 http://education.qld.gov.au/smartclassrooms/pdf/student-expectations-p-3.pdf



First, I now know what I want the class to learn. Next I will design activities for learning and then I find ICT’s to support this experience that will also aid in meeting formative and summative assessment requirements (Harris, & Hofer, 2009).


References:

Harris, J., & Hofer, M. (2009). Instructional planning activity types as vehicles for curriculum-based TPACK development. Retrieved from, http://activitytypes.wmwikis.net/file/view/HarrisHofer- TPACKActivityTypes.pdf
ProTeacher Community (1998-2010) retrieved from http://www.proteacher.net/

The State of Queensland - Department of Education and Training. (2011). Smart Classrooms Professional Development Framework. Retrieved from     http://education.qld.gov.au/smartclassrooms/pdframework/

No comments:

Post a Comment